Text modifications with Power Query (Get and Transform)
Splits column to multiple columns, using delimiter or fixed number of characters. Something like "Text to columns" in spreadsheet.
When working with delimiter, in next step has to be declared which character is used as delimiter, and whether all delimiters should be used - or only the left one or the right one.
Similarly splitting based on number of characters can be used.
Merge columns means, well, just merging of columns... Before merging we have to select the columns used for merging, if necessary which character should be used for their separation and the name of merged column.
It is not real formatting - it is more or less changing of data.To be more specific:
- Makes lowercases from everything
- Makes "abc" from "Abc"
- Makes uppercase from everything
- Makes "ABC" from "Abc"
Capitalize Each Word
- Well, this capitalizes each word...
- Makes "Abc Def" from "abc def")
- Removes spaces at the beginning, removes spaces at the end and makes one space from multiple spaces anywhere else.
- Makes "abc def" from " abc def "Z
Removes non printable characters
Add something before text
Add something to the end of text
Equivalent of some text functions from spreadsheat.
- Provides the number of characters
- Provides "3" for "abc"
- Provides some characters from the beginning.
- You can get first two characters from "abc" and see the result "ab"
- The same, just from the end...
- Provides some number of characters from some characters.
- For example from "abcdef" provides two characters from the third characters - resulting in "cd"